Gautrain is safe and efficient
The South African green economy vision has identified nine green economy programmes, with sustainable transport infrastructure being one of them.
As a sustainable transport system, Gautrain promotes the use of public transport. Shifting from using a car to the Gautrain is environmentally friendly and contributes to the reduction of carbon footprint.
There is continuous monitoring and evaluation of Gautrain’s service offering to ensure that the Gautrain continues to offer a safe, reliable and convenient public transport service. Currently with the global Covid-19 pandemic that is changing travel behaviors, the Gautrain has implemented the following health and safety measures to ensure that the it is safe and efficient.
- There are alcohol-based hand sanitisers at all stations, buses and midibuses;
- Regular cleaning protocols are in place, i.e. trains, buses and midi-buses are cleaned and disinfected at regular intervals throughout the day. Special cleaning staff are deployed at stations to wipe-down and disinfect touchpoints, such as handrails; fare gates and other surfaces,
- In ensuring that social distancing is adhered to, all stations have floor decals to assist passengers to keep clear and required distances;
- Seats on trains, buses and midi-buses have been cordoned off to allow for social distancing;
- The use of face masks is compulsory on Gautrain just as it is in all public transport modes and public areas. All passengers and staff are required to wear a face mask at all times at stations and onboard trains, buses or midi-buses. Security guards monitor this;
- All staff in direct contact with customers are screened for Covid-19 ahead of resuming their normal duties. Staff is screened for fever throughout the day; and
- Staff is required to wear the respective personal protective equipment as stipulated by government regulations.
Detailed information on health and safety measures, is available at www.gautrainalerts.co.za/.
South Africa has stringent environmental laws and a number of policies to ensure that the country moves towards a green economy. The Gauteng government contributes to this vision through infrastructure project such as Gautrain which not only provides a travel benefit that is safe, reliable and reduces carbon footprint for people but also contributes to the economy and society at large.
Follow Gautrain on:
Twitter – @TheGautrain
Facebook – www.facebook.com/gautrain
Website – www.gma.gautrain.co.zaCall
Centre – 0800 42887246
SMS alert line – 32693